I spent the night in Lincoln on Friday. We then went to the Lied Lodge in Nebraska City to celebrate Cindy's birthday! If you ever have a chance to visit, do so! It was beautiful!
(*Oops, a bit blurry.)
Onto our topic! As many may know, I have a pet rabbit formally known as Babs, though she goes by many names.
Here she is three years ago when I first adopted her:
Isn't she cute?
She is my first pet that I've raised on my own, my first fur-love. Of course now I have adopted a small farm. #animalsciencemajor
A lot of people don't realize what a joy a rabbit can be. This little fuzz ball absolutely ADORES people. Wants to be around us always, loves head nuzzles, follows Steven around like a dog. She's extremely self-sufficient but would be oh-so lonely without daily lovin's.
This rabbit, however, has another personality trait that I never expected when I adopted her to keep me company in my first studio apartment in a less than classy part of town. She's protected me on more than one occasion.
One of the scariest moments of my life:
I'm up studying well past midnight in my "less-than-one-bedroom" apartment when all of a sudden this rabbits thumps. Loudly.
*In case you didn't know, rabbits thump their hind feet to signal danger. Rabbits aren't very vocal so thumping is their way of communicating. Usually this means they have heard something odd and it could be potentially harmful.*
My blood ran cold as I could barely make out the sound of fingernails scratching on my door just a few feet from my bed. Without processing my actions, I jumped up, threw on the light and looked out the peep hole. I saw a man sitting crossed legged on the ground facing my door. He looked down and said, "I can see you." This was him referencing the shadow my light had created. Quickly turning off my light, I proceeded to call Steven and then the police while this man, whom I didn't know, continued to scratch my door and speak gibberish. I listened for what seemed like hours until he was finally arrested and I was able to slow down my heart rate. It was after everything was said and done that I realized the rabbit had been thumping throughout the whole experience.
I decided to focus on my Foof today as when we returned from our weekend away, she was in need of immediate attention. Steven and I spent the whole night feeding our little critter and listening for any and all movement from her cage. After a dosage of pain medication and some hardcore TLC, she's doing much better today. For a second, I thought I was going to loose this little guard rabbit of mine.
In honor of that, here is every picture known of our "Squirt Ferdman".
![]() |
| Easter bunny! |
![]() |
| 2014 |
![]() |
| 2015 |
![]() |
| Back in the days of our long distance relationship |















No comments:
Post a Comment